Where to start…
The Story Behind the Bricks: researching the history of your house.
There are numerous sites which may be useful for Historical research. Below is a small selection of the sites we use here in Community History.
Trove is an exciting search engine that gives you access to more than 90 million items in Australian collections. It includes books, video and sound files, images, manuscripts, original research and newspaper articles. Many of the items are available for viewing online and others are found in Australian library collections.
You can search Trove using the LINK: Search Trove
State Library of Western Australia is a rich resource for West Australian history and their history guides are a good starting point.
- Guide to WA History covers electoral rolls, births, deaths and marriages, passenger lists, land, building and architecture and more.
- Westraliana is a guide to the State Library’s rich collection of material about Western Australia. The JS Battye Library holds the largest collection of material relating to Western Australia in the world.
- Post Office Directories – try this if you want to know who lived in your house between 1893 and 1949. Cottesloe first appears in 1894 under the provincial section. Peppermint Grove and Mosman Park are listed under Cottesloe.
- Dead Reckoning is an online guide to finding your way through the genealogical jungle of Western Australia.
- Police Gazette of Western Australia 1876-1900 – an online record of the seamier side of history.
State Records Office stores the archives of State and Local Government. It has microfilm copies of minute and rate books for the local councils as well as records from local bodies such as state schools.
Heritage Council of WA – the InHerit Database lists places on the State Register of Heritage Places as well as those on local government heritage inventories, Commonwealth heritage lists and places classified by the National Trust.
RSL Living History Project – find out the history of Returned and Serviceman’s League of Australia – WA Branch
Your Local Area
Digital Post Newspaper Archive – 2003 – current issue.
- Town of Cottesloe History – a brief history of the town since its naming in 1886.
- War & peace: rationing & rebuilding: 1940s life in Cottesloe, WA and Visiting John Curtin at home: 24 Jarrad St , Cottesloe. An online exploration of life in Cottesloe in the 1940s from the John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library.
- Cottesloe History Blog – WordPress site for Cottesloe Community History
- Cottesloe Heritage List 2002
- Cottesloe Rate Books 1904 – 1960
- Civic Centre News (Local newsletter 1951 – 1996)
- Cottesloe Council Minutes 1895 – 1915
- Cottesloe Society Newsletter 1992 – 2002
- History of Mosman Park – known at different times as Buckland Hill and Cottesloe Beach this is a brief history of the town since 1871.
- Mosman Park History Blog – WordPress site for Mosman Park Community History
- Mosman Park Heritage List 2014
- Mosman Park Review (Local newsletter 1953 – 1958)
- History of the Shire dating back to John Butler’s land grant in 1835.
- Peppermint Grove History Blog – WordPress site for Peppermint Grove History
- Peppermint Grove Heritage List 2017
- Peppermint Grove Street Lists 1900 – 1970